Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Zebras- S/T (2012)

 self titled
I hated how this album opens, because chugging guitars have never really done it for me. 

Now that we have all my complaints out of the way, lets talk about this album, why it is great, and why it would have made my top 50 albums of last year had I heard anything about it in 2012.

Zebras self titled combines the vocal ferocity and high energy of Mclusky with the occasional prog rock riff.  Some of the songs, like 'A Turd By Any Other Name', sound like a better achieved Xaddax-Counterclockwork, even having the occasional synth blast.  Other tracks, like 'Diablo Blanco', have riffs which remind me of cKy.   

While I quickly warmed up to this album as a whole after only a couple listens, two tracks that immediately stood out were 'Black Cancer' and 'Field/Noise'.  Coming in back to back, the first is a great example of noise rock and the opening reminds me of At the Drive In.  Then, 'Field/Noise' comes in with heavy riffs, funky sound, and an almost danceable beat.  After this section of songs, every other song just fell into place. 

One reason this album was so good is the fact that it casually hits so many genres and jumps between them seamlessly. 

I just bought one of the three remaining damaged copies of the new record for 7 bucks.  If you arent cheap like me, buy it for 15.

Listen to the whole album/ buy Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment