Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top 10 2012 Noise Rock Albums

Top 10 albums 2012
2012 was a great year for noise rock.  So great, in fact that choosing only 10 albums was fairly difficult; but, after mulling it over for a bit, here was my top picks.

1) White Suns- Sinews:  This album just had so much grit.  Straight from the first song, Fire Sermon, you know you are in for a harsh and intense trip.  Strangely enough though, despite this being such a harsh album, it has a way of getting caught in my head and making me want to go back to it again and again.

2) Choochooshoeshoot- Playland:  This album caught me off guard.  I found it through a random blog and simply was not ready for the awesome rock and roll they had prepared.  The vocalist of Choochooshoeshoot really does it for me, having a harsher sound that is never piercing.

3) WaMu- Viafuckt:  I adored this album when I first heard it, and it sat as my Album of the Year for much of 2012.  Heck it's the first cassette I have purchased in quite a while, and was well worth it.

4) Obnox- Rojo:  A Permanent Records release.  I was pretty much sold when I found that out, and this certainly was awesome.  Some Tribal mixed into noise rock, and overall a fun, catchy album.  Also, the speaking parts remind me of the band Kill Me Tomorrow.

5) Divorce- Divorce:  Another one of the harsher albums on the list.  I wrote up a much better review of this album earlier this year, but if you liked Aids Wolf, then I highly suggest you check out this band.

6) Infants- Giant Leg:  Frantic dance-punk meets noise rock.  This band took Brainiac's sound and revamped it for the next generation.  Its a shame they broke up, but 'Gum Takes Tooth' formed out of them and is worth checking out.

7) White Lung- Sorry:  I played this for a friend of mine who likes the Yeahyeahyeahs and he really dug it.  A very short album where every song is as good as the last.  If you liked Metz this year, this is better and up your alley.

8) BNNT-_ _:  This Duo made the list simply because I love their sound, their style, and the fact that they have been soundbombing Europe; not to mention the album is fantastic.

9)Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke, and Oren Ambarchi- Imikuzushi:  The four tracks on this album are long, noisy, and wild.  While none of the four tracks really stood out to me as amazing, the whole thing felt good, and really felt complete when it ended, making for an overall great listening experience from start to finish.

10) Dope Body- Natural History:  I didn't really care for Dope Body's 2011 release.  That's why I was pleasantly surprised by Natural History.  Dope Body decided to not sound as hard rock, and I think it worked great.  I hope they continue going this direction.

Honorable Mentions: If you already heard all of these albums and want more, try Aufgehoben, Black Dice, Black Pus, Feedtime, Lightning Bolt, Netz, Normal Love, or Pop1280.


No comments:

Post a Comment